Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich


Who knew Chickpeas had skin? You probably did, but this here chick had no clue! Oh, and just so you know, it's a good idea to read directions ENTIRELY. I guess that's why they teach that in school.

So yeah, this recipe for Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches is from the PETA website. It called for garbanzo beans. I had a can of them in my pantry and so I drained, rinsed, and put them in the bowl. Then, I added the avocado -- like the directions said -- but I failed to notice pay attention read the fact that the ingredients section stated: 1 can Chickpeas, drained, rinsed, peeled.

Sooooooo, when I noticed the skins not mashing well, I reread the directions and ingredients. How on earth do you PEEL CHICKPEAS, especially when they are covered in mashed avocados?!?

 
Well, let me tell you -- it is without a doubt and most definitely not worth trying to salvage those chickpeas. So, of course, I tried to anyway. All I could think the entire time my hands were covered in avocado was that this had better be one totally awesome sandwich!!!! (Extra, extra exclamation Points on that one!)

Oh, and yes, the garbanzo beans smash soooooooo much easier when they are "peeled" or as I call it - skinned.

P.S. You hold them on the sides and slide your fingers back as though you are just slightly pinching them. The skin typically pops open and comes off. Yes, the beans sometimes POP out of your hands. ;)

And this was a pretty good sandwich. I think it will taste better next time when I make it CORRECTLY.


Now, take a little trip over to PETA for this yummy recipe and more!


No comments: